Thinking of going to university after A Level results day? Your next steps:
- Accept your firm or insurance University offer.
Congratulations! You’ve got an offer. You need to choose a uni and secure your place. Your chosen uni will direct you on what to do next.
- Enter the clearing process.
Don’t be disheartened – if you did not receive any offers or declined the ones you have, you can find a course through Clearing once it goes live on the UCAS search tool: UCAS search tool
- Appeal for your grades
Are you unhappy with your grades from A Level results day? Do you think that they need reviewing? Talk to your school to know your options, and how to submit an appeal to the exam board. You’ll need to inform your uni to see if they can hold your place, or if you need to enter Clearing while waiting for your appeal.
Do you feel ready for uni? Inform your uni immediately if you choose to defer your studies. Most unis will hold your place for a year if you’ve met all conditions for entry. Be prepared to explain your decision.
- Consider an apprenticeship.
Have a career in mind already? A degree apprenticeship might just be the path for you: apprenticeships
The UCAS process:
- Check UCAS Track once you have collected your results to check your offers. Your track will have updated, so you should know if you have received an offer from your firm choice or not.
- If you have not had an offer on your ‘firm’, you may have got a place on your ‘insurance’ choice.
- In some instances, if you have not quite met the conditions of your offer, a university may still offer you a place on your chosen course. So always check UCAS Track, even if you have not done as well as expected!
- Some universities may offer you a place on an alternative course.
- If you have done better than expected, you may be able to go through adjustment if there is another course you are interested in – www.ucas.com/adjustment
- If you have no offers, or reject the offers made to you, you will be eligible to go through Clearing – www.ucas.com/clearing
- There could be delays with the system updating and your status changing due to the volume of people trying to access it – try and be patient 😊
Clearing – Steps to follow:
- Seek Advice – speak to your school/college careers adviser.
- See what courses are available – you will find these on the UCAS website.
- Talk to universities and colleges directly. All universities and colleges have Clearing hotlines open throughout results day. Make sure you have your clearing number (which will appear on your Track home page) and your UCAS ID Number. You must have a verbal offer of a place before you can add a choice online.
- Add your choice – click ‘add a clearing choice’ and fill in all the details of the course.
- Don’t panic. Do your research.
- If you change your original university choice, don’t forget to contact Student Finance and Accommodation to update them too!
Alternatives to HE:
After A Level results day, if you don’t want to go to university and have not applied for an apprenticeship or a job, it’s not too late. Seek advice from your school/college careers adviser first. Some alternative options to a degree at university include:
- HND/HNC via a local further education college
- Foundation Degree
- Gap year
Some useful websites for Results Day:
- Make sure to bookmark This website. We offer careers advice and information for young people.
- Apprenticeships: Use the Government Apprenticeships website to search and apply for vacancies.
- The National Careers Service website provides help with career choices and education.
- The Not Going To Uni website offers advice, guidance, and alternative career paths for school and college leavers.
Useful Phone Numbers:
- Exam Results Helpline – 0800 100 900
- National Careers Service – 0800 100 900
Local university clearing hotline numbers:
- University of Liverpool – 0151 794 6800 (open 6:30am)
- Liverpool John Moore’s University – 0808 5 564 565 (open 6:30am)
- Liverpool Hope University – 0151 291 3636 (open 7:00am)
- Edge Hill University – 0800 028 6677 (open 7:00am)
- Chester University – 0808 1642710 or [email protected] (open 7.00 am)
- University of Manchester – General: 0161 306 6000, Clearing: 0161 672 8770, Confirmation of place: 0161 804 0050
- Manchester Metropolitan University – General: 0161 247 2000, Clearing: 0161 247 3000
- University of Salford – General: 0161 295 5000, Clearing: 0300 555 5030
Not sure what you want to do next?
Need further support after A Level results day? If you need help with your future career choices, explore options, or require advice after receiving your results, our local teams are here for you.
Email: [email protected]
Remember: Don’t Panic! There’s always a way to reach your goals, and there are people ready to offer help and advice. Just reach out and ask for it. Stay positive, and you’ll find the path that’s right for you. Best of luck! 😊
Details of local events via Eventbrite:
- Careers Fayre – 16th August/20th September, Anfield stadium, tickets on Eventbrite
- Liverpool – The Learning Foundry Fast Track to Apprenticeships, 31st August, The Watson Building 4 Renshaw Street Liverpool L1 2SA, tickets on Eventbrite.
- Nursing Live – Friday 10 & Saturday 11 November 2023 Exhibition Centre Liverpool, ACC Liverpool https://registration.nursinglivetickets.com/Forms/Form.aspx?FormRef=NLIB3Visitor
- Careers Fayre – Friday 18th August, Brittania Hotel, Portland Street, Manchester, M1 3LA, tickets on Eventbrite
- Greater Manchester Careers Fair – October 5th, Methodist Church, Oldham Street Manchester, M1 1JQ, tickets on Eventbrite
- Manchester Engineering & Technology Careers Fair 2023 – Friday 13th October, The Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3WS, tickets on Eventbrite
- St Helens
- Results day Careers Fayre, Friday 18th August, Clickworks, 4-6 Hardshaw Street, St Helens, WA10 1RE, tickets on Eventbrite
- Fast track to employment, 29th August 11th September, St Helens Chamber Ltd, Chalon Way West, Saint Helens, WA10 1FY, tickets on Eventbrite
- Virtual job fair – every Thursday, link on Eventbrite
- Careers in Care – Recruitment Open Day, 29th August, Alcedo Care, 101 Woodside Business Park, Birkenhead, CH41 1EL, tickets on Eventbrite